Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Life Preserver for Your Strands


Your hair is dry, unmanageable and frizzy. Your wallet is near empty and your bathroom cabinets are full of hair products that aren't as effective as you'd hoped. What to do? If your hair is anything like mine, the solution is in your local drugstore's "ethnic" aisle!

Those who know me will be amazed to hear that I am impressed with a drugstore hair product. I insist on purchasing only the best high-end products for my hair (damaged, dry and coarse) and skincare regimen as drugstore products normally contain ingredients I prefer to avoid. I am also the type that will read every single ingredient in a haircare product prior to purchase. Yes, I'm the one in your way as you maneuver your way to that shampoo. Sorry, but you probably don't want it anyway as its primary ingredient (sodium laureth sulfate) will likely trash your hair. If your hair is damaged and/or dry, the ingredients you put on your head are as important as the ones you put in your mouth. On to the review...

I bought this deep treatment on a whim. I was perfectly happy using my Redken Buttertreat at the time but wanted a product without any silicone ingredients for daily use. For those on a 'cone-free diet, there isn't a one in sight! Take a gander at the ingredients:

Water - Aqua , Cetearyl Alcohol , Mineral Oil - Paraffinum Liquidum , Dicetyldimonium Chloride , Ceteareth-20 , Cetyl Acetate , Phenoxyethanol , Propylene Glycol , Fragrance - Parfum , Polyquaternium-22 , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Acetylated Lanolin Alcohol , Panthenol , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Amyl Cinnamal , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Benzyl Salicylate , Limonene , Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone , Olive Fruit Oil - Olea Europaea , 2-Oleamido-1 , 3-Octadecaniol , Jojoba Seed Oil - Simmondsia Chinensis , Coconut Oil - Cocos Nucifera , Avocado Oil - Persea Gratissima , Laurdimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein.

These components make for a very moisturizing and smoothing conditioner without the side effect of buildup in your hair. No matter how dry my hair feels, I leave Optimum Oil Therapy Ultimate Recovery Conditioner on towel-dried hair for about 30 minutes, rinse and my hair feels smooth again. This doesn't weigh my hair down but if your hair is thin or fine, it may be too heavy for you. I wouldn't recommend this for ladies who chemically straighten their hair on a regular basis; an emollient, oil-based conditioner might be more effective.


Image and Ingredient Source

No comments: